VETERAN BURIAL BENEFITS
HOUSTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
The following veteran burial benefits are offered by the Houston National Cemetery (VA Cemetery) for all honorably discharged veterans:
- Burial space for veteran and/or spouse (no charge)
- Outer Burial Container for veteran and/or spouse (no charge)
- Opening & Closing of grave for veteran and/or spouse (no charge)
- Care and maintenance of cemetery grounds (no charge)
- Veterans administration will provide a cemetery upright monument (no charge) veteran information on front with spouse information on back.
HOUSTON NATIONAL CEMETERY HAS RESTRICTIONS ON CEMETERY SPACES.
Funeral services are NOT offered by the Houston National Cemetery, such as cremation, casket, urn, funeral director fees, death certificates.
Secure Your Legacy offers funeral packages as low as $3,995, please call for details.
Secure Your Legacy is not connected with or endorsed by the Houston National Cemetery. Secure Your Legacy provides affordable funeral plans to all veterans and their families. Secure Your Legacy is licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance.
AID & ATTENDANCE PENSION FAQ
WHAT IS AID & ATTENDANCE?
Aid and Attendance is a monthly pension that provides benefits to help reduce the cost of elder care for veterans and/or surviving spouses.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any wartime veteran age 65 or older with 90 days of active duty, with at least 1 day beginning or ending during a period of war.
- A surviving spouse of a wartime veteran as long as the marriage ended due to the death of the veteran and the spouse has not remarried.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED WARTIME SERVICE?
- World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
- Korean War (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
- Vietnam War (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975) served in the Republic of Vietnam (August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975) all other service
- Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – date to be determined by presidential proclamation)
ARE THERE MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS?
- Require the aid of another person in order to perform two or more activities of daily living OR
- Bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed OR
- Reside in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity, OR
- Blind or nearly blind.
ARE THERE INCOME AND ASSET LIMITATIONS?
- The claimant’s countable family income must be below a limit set by law. It includes earnings, disability and retirement payments, interest and dividends, and net income from farming or business.
- Net Worth also affects eligibility. All personal goods are exempt from the net worth. These goods include: vehicle, household goods, and personal effects such as clothes, jewelry and furniture. A residential homestead is generally exempt from veteran benefits.
HOW MUCH CAN I RECEIVE? (ESTIMATE)
- Surviving Spouse of a Veteran: $1,176/month
- Single Veteran: $1,830/month
- Married Veteran: $2,169/month
- Two Veterans Married: $2,847/month
HOW CAN I USE MY BENEFITS?
Veteran benefits can be used in any way for medical care such as home improvements, medical expenses, caregivers, and more.