Turning 65 And “Still Working” Confused About Medicare?

Hi Stephanie,

I’m turning 65 and currently employed.  Do I need to enroll into Medicare?  I’m scared of getting penalized for not enrolling at the right time.  I’m totally confused PLEASE HELP!  Thanks, Bob… from Tomball.

Good morning Bob,

Medicare is a very confusing topic for many folks. I promise you don’t stand alone.  

What you’ll need to do is to stay on your company benefits till you retire.  When you turn 65 you’ll automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A, which is Hospital only and YOU CAN delay Medicare Part B of Medical. If you are currently receiving social security at age 65 and “still working” with true company benefits you can also delay part B.  

When you retire you’ll have an 8 month window to enroll into Medicare PART B without any penalty.  If you miss your enrollment during the 8 month window, then YES you will incur a penalty fee for each year you should have been on Medicare part B.  (Part D is a 63 day window of enrollment after retirement, make certain to enroll in a prescription drug plan during this time frame.)

The process to enroll in Part B after you retire is as follows:
1.) Have your employer fill out a form known as the “REQUEST FOR EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION”  (#QMB No0938-0787) this shows as proof of group health care coverage based on current employment. 
2.) Make certain that at the top of the form you write in red letters “Special Enrollment Period” for the Social Security agent.  
3.) Call Social Security at 1- 800-772-1213 and advise them that you are retiring and that you need to enroll in Part B of Medicare. 
4.) Tell Social Security you were working when you turned 65 and you qualify for a “SPECIAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD”.  
5.) Make sure the social security agent fills out a form (HCFA-40B) known as Application for Enrollment in Medicare: this is your application for medical insurance part of Medicare known as Part B. (Social Security fills out this form.)
Once the employment form is signed by your company, take forms to your local Social Security office for your Medicare to begin when you have retired. You can mail your forms back to Social Security, but the wait is longer to receive your Medicare card with both Parts A and B.  Best recommendation I can give you is to go in person to the Social Security office within 63 days  of retirement and enroll in Part B and also BUY a prescription drug plan to avoid penalty.

Secure Your Legacy currently is offering Medicare workshops through out the city of Houston, please call for information (832) 953-4229.  Hope this helps Bob.  

Thank you, 



You may be interesed in…